Lower Vocabulary: Μερικά από τα πιο συχνά λάθη!! Είναι λέξεις που πέφτουν μαζί στις ερωτήσεις πολλαπλής επιλογής ή έχουν πολύ παρόμοια ερμηνεία ώστε να μπερδεύουν πολλούς μαθητές!! Διάβασε και μάθε τί να προσέχεις για να περάσεις τις εξετάσεις με άνεση και να μιλάς ορθά Αγγλικά!
1. suggest = προτείνω (κάνω μια πρόταση), recommend = συνιστώ
I suggest that you see a doctor if your temperature is still high.
I recommend this movie for the whole family because it is entertaining and educative.
2. challenging = προκλητικό , demanding =απαιτητικό, complicated = περίπλοκο
Karate is very challenging, maybe you should try an easier sport.
This teacher is extremely kind to her students but also demanding for their own good.
This gadget's functions are complicated but it's very useful.
3. judge = δικαστής / καταδικάζω, κρίνω , criticize = κρίνω, ασκώ κριτική , review = γράφω κριτική / γραπτή κριτική
The judge asked the jury to name the sentence.
Stop criticizing me in such a discourteous manner! I deny your accusations!!
I read a very interesting review about this movie, yesterday. Would you watch it with me? It is supposed to be marvelous.
4.goal = στόχος / επιδίωξη, target, aim = στόχος / σκοπός / στοχεύω / απευθύνομαι σε
purpose = σκοπός / πρόθεση
The aim of archery is to hit the target with the arrow.
What is the main purpose of this passage?
My goal is to be rich and famous one day.
5. consequence = συνέπεια/ επακόλουθο, result = αποτέλεσμα / έκβαση
Playing computer games detracts pupils from their homework. As a result, their marks slip.
If you don't study hard, you will have to deal with the consequences.
6. severely = σκληρά / σοβαρά / έντονα , powerfully = δυνατά
Crops were devastated in this area because it had rained severely.
He punched the burglar powerfully.
7. accept = (απο)δέχομαι, receive = λαμβάνω
I am looking forward to receiving your letter.
I am wondering if she accepted his proposal to marry him.
8. behavior = συμπεριφορά , attitude = στάση / αντιμετώπιση / φέρσιμο,
This behavior is unacceptable in class! Please behave properly!
She waved at me but her attitude implied she wasn't happy to see me.
9. flavor = γεύση , taste = γεύση / γεύομαι
May I taste your dish? It looks delicious!
We serve all kinds of ice-cream in a variety of flavors like chocolate, vanilla and caramel.
10. passengers = επιβάτες, travelers = ταξιδιώτες
All passengers must me seated during take-off.
Two travelers have been here just about a minute ago, asking for directions.
11. offensive = προσβλητικό, defensive = αμυντικό
Mike posted an offensive comment under Mary's pfotograph. This made her feel insulted.
The great wall of China was built for defensive purposes.
12. miss = χάνω (τραίνο, πτήση κλπ.), lose = χάνω
I must have lost my keys. I can't find them anywhere.
Hurry up! Otherwise we'll miss the flight!
13. inaccurately = ασαφώς / ακατάλληλα, vaguely = αμυδρά / αόριστα
The witness couldn't describe the thief precisely. He even explained what happened inaccurately.
I remember his face vaguely. I couldn't tell him apart among others.
14. chores = αγγαρείες / δουλειές του σπιτιού , jobs = δουλειές
I hate doing the chores but my mother often makes me.
There are many jobs for a college student like you. Why don't you take a look at the newspaper?
15. remote = απομακρυσμένος , remove = μετακινώ
After the ship sank Robinson found himself stranded on a remote island.
Remote the packaging to get your surprise!!
16. expect = περιμένω / αναμένω , except = εκτός
The boss expects a lot from his employees.
Except for John, everybody else attended the lecture.
17. deliver = παραδίδω, transfer = μεταφέρω
Many food-chains deliver orders at home.
You can transfer the data using this USB stick.
18. refer to = αναφέρομαι σε , prefer = προτιμώ
What does the word "it" in line 3 refer to?
I prefer spaghetti to pizza.
19. achieve = καταφέρνω κάτι , succeed = επιτυγχάνω
Hard work and ambition are required to achieve all your goals in life.
I try hard to succeed in my career.
20. proceed = συνεχίζω / προχωρώ, advance = προχωρώ / βελτιώνομαι, improve = βελτιώνω - ομαι
You may now proceed to the boarding gate.
An advanced version of software runs on this computer so it works faster than my old one.
I take English lessons to improve my speaking skills.
21. sufficient = επαρκής, efficient = αποτελεσματικός
Since there is sufficient food on the planet, why do some countries suffer from famine?
This is the most efficient method to memorize vocabulary.
22. respond = απαντώ, response = η απάντηση
I have loads of work! These letters were delivered yesterday and I still have to respond!
Thank you for your prompt respond.
23. assemble = συναρμολογώ, resemble = μοιάζω με/σε κάποιον
I need the manual to assemble that table. It seems difficult!
Mike resembles his father. The traits of his face are identical.
24. requirement = απαίτηση, qualification = προσόν
Mike has a range of qualifications but computer programming isn't among them.
The requirements are listed here. Contestants must be older than 18 years old so your sister isn't allowed to take part in the competition.
25. issue = ζήτημα / τεύχος / εκδίδω έντυπο, topic = θέμα
Does anybody have another idea about this topic?
Consuming too much sugar can lead to health issues.
This is the latest issue of my favorite magazine!
26. remember = θυμάμαι remind = υπενθυμίζω
I remember playing in this park as a child.
Could you remind me to close the window before we leave?